Monday, January 14, 2013

My Twin

Imagine my excitement at lunch today when my daughter Kate informed me that one of her friends is my identical twin! (Haven't we all had that secret fantasy that we were switched at birth and that our real family will suddenly rush into our lives to claim us as their own ~ maybe even later today? ...and wasn't there always an identical twin in that scenario too?)

Well my twin sister is a guy, at least thirty years younger than I am and has a different mother. Other than that, we're identical. Oh, yeah, apparently he tolerates his liquor better than I do too, but that's the only other difference. That and the fact that he's a foot taller than me and we have opposite political, religious and social views. We don't like the same types of movies or music either and I'm not even sure that he puts both marshmallows and whipped cream in his hot chocolate like I do. He may even (gag) eat meat. But that's totally it. Besides those minor differences, we are one-in-the-same. Seriously.


That shadow on Erik's shirt?  A drink.  Maybe he can't "hold his liquor" after all!
If I get to add an identical, taller, male, younger twin to my inner circle at this late date, I'm glad that it's Erik. He's got a wicked sense of humor, laughs a lot and dresses a heck of a lot better than I do. I can learn a trick or two from that guy.

So welcome to the family, Erik my twin. Want to switch places for a while?  You could come down here to cook and clean at my house and I could go up there and have my own radio show. Nobody would even know the difference. That's the beauty of being identical twins.

P.S. Do you know what happened to our real mom and dad?

No comments: