Thursday, August 18, 2011

The Doctor's Appointment

Monday I had a doctor's appointment in Rock Hill, an easy thirty minute drive from here.  I left the house with an hour to spare and drove in light traffic to the medical building next to the hospital without the aid of a GPS or Map Quest.  Normally this kind of wild spontaneous adventure is difficult for me but this time there was celestial intervention in the form of blue signs with large H's on them accompanied by arrows pointing the way for me.  I took the scenic route, but arrived with time to spare.  As a bonus, I found a spot to park that was in total shade - the only one in the entire lot. Clearly this was my lucky day!


The waiting room was not even half full when I got there and signed in. The receptionist was humming and smiling, obviously in a good mood.  Things were going better than usual for me, so well in fact that I was spooked.  I began to hear the theme from "The Twilight Zone" in my head.  Why were things going so well?  It was like I had stepped into someone else's life.  Perhaps the life of the woman who actually had the appointment this afternoon?  It was about this time that the receptionist broke the news to me that my appointment was scheduled for tomorrow. 


The question then became, do I calmly sit in the waiting room for 24 hours and 20 minutes or simply go home?  I chose option B, go home.


On the way home, I decided to treat myself to a cherry amaretto ice cream cone at Sayago's in Baxter Village.  When I got there I was able to pull directly into a parallel parking spot right in front of the store.  Maybe it really was my lucky day! ...Or not.  Because the doors were both locked when I tried them and then I noticed the "Closed Mondays" sign painted on their window.  I heaved a sigh of relief.  I was back living my own life again.







2 comments:

Terri said...

Haha, no......actually, I think you entered my world. That's "run-of-the-mill" for me. Funny indeed, AFTER the fact!

Anonymous said...

It makes me feel so much better to see others doing the same kinds of things I do!! At least you went the day before your appointment and not the day after!

My sister and I drove all the way to Pennsylvania in June to visit family. We decided while we there to throw our healthy eating to the wind and get some delicious Forbushes custard, we remember so well from our childhood.

The day we decided to go, we were so disappointed to find they are now closed one day a week and it happened to be the day we were there. The next day as we were leaving for our return trip home, it was late morning and we thought we ought to give it another try.....not open until noon and it was 11 am. We really did not want to get any later of a start to Michigan, so off we went without our Forbushes.

Karl and I are going to make a trip to Pennsylvania this fall and you KNOW I am going to make it a top priority to get some. I have been thinking about it ever since June.

Jennifer